Teaching and Training Tomorrow’s Workforce
Employees are one of the most important elements of business success; making sure you have the properly skilled workforce is one of our tasks.
That starts with a proper education, shaping responsible and dependable students. The latest data from the Department of Education shows that is happening with district baseline grades in our region’s counties:
Alachua = A
Citrus = A
Dixie = B
Gilchrist = A
Marion = B
Levy = B
One of our primary tasks is ensuring tomorrow’s workforce is adequately prepared. Along with our highly rated public education system, with academies in such areas as business, healthcare and agriculture, numerous opportunities exits through technical and vocational schools and colleges, most notably:
Welcome to the Gilchrist County School District
GCSD is the 3rd ranked school district in the state! We are an “A” school district that is working hard toward fulfilling every student’s potential through rigorous programs, relevant instruction, and meaningful relationships. Gilchrist County Schools have been recognized throughout the state for our high expectations and proven results. The hard work of our teachers, students, and parents has resulted in receiving an A or B grade for the past twelve years in a row! Gilchrist County School District has been featured on MSN for being the best school district in Florida!
Gilchrist County is a small and rural school district with a total of approximately 2700 students attending two elementary schools and two combination middle/high schools. Our schools offer comprehensive programs to prepare students for future endeavors. Our hard-working students, dedicated teachers, and involved parents have allowed Gilchrist County Schools to continue to meet challenging standards year after year. We are proud of our schools and our community.
To continually provide high performing schools that include diversified experiences for all students so that they exit college and/or career ready, are productive, contributing citizens, and have an appreciation for and willingness to serve their community.
For more information: www.gilchristschools.schoolfusion.us
Saint Leo University
A leader in adult and continuing education, Saint Leo understands life’s demands – balancing family and work while pursuing a college degree.
To meet those challenges, we are dedicated to providing you with highly personalized attention and flexible learning opportunities that will enable you to succeed in earning your college degree.
Who Are Our Students?
Saint Leo Education Center students are a diverse community of working parents, active-duty service-members, military veterans, career changers, and first-generation college students.
University-wide, about 86 percent of our more than 14,000 students are adult learners like you, earning undergraduate and graduate degrees online and at Education Centers throughout the United States.
Profile of Saint Leo Adult Learner
- Average Age: 36
- Gender: 59.1% Female, 40.9% Male
- Military, Veterans & Dependents: 39%
- Students Entering with More Than 30 Transfer Credits: 62%
Education for Any Lifestyle
Regardless of where you live or how you need to take your classes, you can count on the same academic rigor, quality curriculum, and flexibility across all of Saint Leo’s degree programs and learning formats.
- Eight-week academic terms, starting six times per year
- More than 40 locations in seven states: California, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia
- Evening and weekend classes
- Online and distance learning options
Where Tradition Meets Innovation
Saint Leo has been providing world-class academic degree programs to students since 1889. Florida’s oldest Catholic college, we’re an internationally respected university and regularly ranked one of the top in the South by U.S. News & World Report. Learn more about Saint Leo.
Florida Gateway College
- Florida Gateway College (FGC) is a two-year public college in Lake City, Florida. FGC was founded as Columbia Forestry School in 1947, when Lake City was the “Forestry Capital of the World”. In 1950 the school was put under the management of the University of Florida and renamed University of Florida Forest Ranger School, then Lake City Junior College. The school changed its name to Florida Gateway College in 2008. Many people in the Lake City area still refer to it as “the forestry school”. The 25-building campus is situated on 132 acres a few miles outside of Lake City, next to Lake City Municipal Airport. It is built from a re-purposed World War II Navy air station. Most of the acreage is covered with azaleas, crepe myrtle trees, and native pinelands. It has been named the most beautiful college campus in Florida by Florida Leader Magazine. FGS serves five Florida counties: Gilchrist, Baker, Union, Dixie, and Columbia. The area served by FGC is 2,683 square miles—over twice the size of the state of Rhode Island. In addition to the main campus, there are three small satellite campuses in Maccleny, Bell, and Cross City. FGC also offers classes at off-campus locations, including the Employ Florida Banner Center for Global Logistics, the Dixie County Center, and the Gilchrist County Center. Including part-time and distance education enrolls, over 7,000 students attend FGS at any given time.
- Florida Gateway College
Career Source Florida Crown
Our Business Services Consultants understand that every business has unique industry demands, goals, and workforce-related needs. We will work closely with you to ensure recruitment and talent-matching needs are met.
We want every business in our region to succeed, and that means building talent. For employers in Columbia, Dixie, Gilchrist, and Union counties, CareerSource Florida Crown is your local resource to help you find, train, and retain a strong team of employees. We can assist you with services ranging from job screening and placement to customized training through the FloridaFlex grant program.
Our team assists with job referrals, employee screening, planning recruiting and hiring events, job postings, and researching labor market information – all at no cost to you
Businesses have access to our current database of more than 1,000 qualified job seekers in the four counties we serve, as well as those in neighboring counties. This pool of job seekers spans all industry sectors and skill sets. We can assist you in finding the ideal candidate.
State Unemployment Rate
Gilchrist County Unemployment Rate
State Labor Force
Gilchrist County Veterans Population
Gilchrist County Veterans in Labor Force (18-64 years of age)
Gilchrist County Labor Force
Median Annual Wages (All Occupations)
Median Hourly Wages (All Occupations)
Educational Information (Gilchrist County)
# of Public Education Institutions
% high school grad or higher (Florida = 86.5%)
% bachelor's degree or higher (Florida = 26.8%)
Top Five Colleges/Universities Within 60 Miles (% Enrollment)
- University of Florida 66%
- Santa Fe College 17%
- Rasmussen College 9%
- College of Central Florida 7%
- University of Florida — online 1%
College of Central Florida | Fast Facts
Students by Site
- Female 63%
- Male 37%
- Under 18 9%
- 18-24 47%
- 25-34 22%